Of Counsel Athens
Vagelis is an of councel in the Dispute Resolution Group of our Athens Office.
Vagelis is a maritime litigator with an extensive experience in dispute resolution, having been involved in a wide range of marine claims from both the wet and the dry side.
Being experienced in handling almost all kind of shipping related litigation, such as crew and personal injury claims, charterparty and bill of lading disputes, as well as disputes arising out of marine accidents, such as wash claims, salvage / towage and pollution disputes, he advises and represents before Greek Courts, leading shipping companies, charterers, insurers and P&I Clubs.
His in-depth knowledge of the legal and commercial aspects of the shipping market, his ability to reach amicable out of court resolution of the cases he handles and his dedication, are acknowledged by his Principals.
Moreover, Vagelis advises on company law matters, specialising on establishing Greek Maritime Companies (L.959/79) and branches of foreign legal entities in Greece (L.89/67).
- Attending on-site a grounding incident in Lesvos Island and acting for the shipowner in relation to potential criminal and civil liabilities towards third parties.
- Representing a coastal shipping maritime company before the Greek Courts of both degrees of jurisdiction, defending successfully against a major passenger injury claim.
- Acted for the subrogated insurers of a pleasure mega yacht, in relation to a claim for compensation from the Greek State, arising out of a collision incident.
- Acted for shipowners in relation to an arrest case, arising out of a cargo claim. Concluding the matter amicably.
- Acted for the attachment of bank accounts of a shipping agent for fees paid by the shipowner, without any legal cause.
- 2010-13 – QLTT Programme
- 2005-07 – Democritus University of Thrace, Law School – Law Degree (Ptychion)
- 2001-03 – University of Wales, Cardiff, Law School – LBB Law
- 1998-01 – University of Wales, Cardiff, Business School – BSc in Maritime Studies
Memberships & Associations
2012 – Roll of Solicitors of England and Wales
2009 – Piraeus Bar Association