Toby is a Partner in the Maritime Group.
Toby has a wealth of experience in the maritime sector advising shipowners, operators, private equity funds, investors and financial institutions across the full spectrum of non-contentious shipping work.
His practice has a particular emphasis on commercial contracts and environmental matters ranging from newbuildings, sale & purchase (including back-to-back re-sales and green recycling/disposal), charterparties, ship management agreements and commercial and environmental due diligence.
Toby was part of the core WFW project team helping in the development of the Poseidon Principles, providing legal oversight and drafting input to the group of major banks and other leading industry players to support the IMO’s goal to reduce shipping’s total annual greenhouse gas emissions by at least 50% by 2050.
Toby also sat on the advisory board for the development of the ground-breaking Vessel Technology Assessment System Project (“VTAS Project”).
Recommended as a transactional maritime expert by leading legal directory Legal 500 UK and praised for his “very broad experience” (2020), “looking out for his client’s best interests” (2020) and being “thorough and commercially minded” (2021), he is admitted to practice in both England & Wales and Ireland, and holds qualifications in maritime law, ship management and notarial practice.
- Acting as maritime counsel (as part of the WFW global team) to United Overseas Group Ltd on the acquisition of United Arab Chemical Carriers Limited. This deal won the IFLR Middle East Award for M&A Deal of the Year 2021.
- Advising an owner/operator on the installation of ESTs and other innovative technology across their fleet.
- Providing legal oversight and drafting input to the group of major banks and other leading industry players in the development of the Poseidon Principles, to support the IMO’s goal to reduce shipping’s total annual greenhouse gas emissions by at least 50% by 2050.
- Sitting on the advisory board for development of the ground-breaking Vessel Technology Assessment System Project.
- Advising TIME Investments on the formation of a new investment offering formed under the Government’s Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS).
- ArticlePoseidon Principles for Marine Insurance
- ArticleThe Clydebank Declaration: Green corridors kickstarting the adoption of long-term solutions
- ArticleDeep-Sea Mining: why now and how? Part 2
- ArticleDeep-Sea Mining: why now and how?
- AwardSovcomflot’s Maritime IPO scoops up second ‘Deal of the Year’ Award in 2021