Sarah is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution Group.
Sarah is a solutions-focussed disputes lawyer, who has been resolving disputes using both formal and informal mechanisms for multinational corporations, governments, governmental agencies and international organisations for nearly 15 years.
Sarah leads teams of lawyers and experts to resolve large and complex multi-jurisdiction litigation and arbitration. Sarah has also obtained refreshed judgments from the English court to aid in international enforcement. Sarah is particularly known for her work on Environmental, Social and Governance (including human rights), Technology, Outsourcing, and Fraud disputes, and well as ESG and Impact Advisory.
Sarah is one of only a few lawyers to combine experience on complex and high-profile group litigation with advising on complaints to non-judicial mechanisms, such as OECD National Contact Points, UN Special Procedure mandates and private, sector-based accountability mechanisms. She also has experience drafting and developing novel non-judicial grievance mechanisms in this field.
Sarah uses this experience to advise clients on managing liability and dispute risks in the context of compliance and regulatory advice and works with clients across several sectors on related risk management and governance issues in corporate transactions, commercial contracts, project development and financing.
Sarah has been ranked for Business and Human Rights – Global Business Leaders in Chambers Global for the past three years. Sarah is described in Chambers Global 2021 as a “very skilful litigator” and “a forward-looking lawyer” and is highlighted for her “pioneering mediation expertise in the field of business and human rights”. Chambers Global 2020 described her as “very good at explaining and joining up the dots to help clients see the bigger picture” and noted “so much admiration for her unflappability”.
- Advising in relation to the impact of UN Covenants on the validity of state-issued licenses for renewable energy projects, and strategy for resolving issues.
- Defending class action parent company liability claims in the English High Court and Court of Appeal (permission for the Claimants to appeal to the Supreme Court refused).
- Advising on defence of complaints to the UN Special Procedures Mandates holders and UK National Contact Point.
- Advising multinationals and investors on parent company and supply chain risk arising from operations of connected companies overseas.
- Designing a novel mediation-based grievance mechanism, including undertaking stakeholder engagement and public consultations, drafting the rules of procedure and advising on contractual documents and regulatory issues.
- 2005 – 2006 · College of Law, Legal Practice Course (Distinction)
- 2004 – 2005 · College of Law, Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction)
- 2000 – 2004 · University of Leeds, BA (Hons) History-Spanish (First)
memberships and associations
- IBA Business and Human Rights Committee
- Society for Computers and Law, ESG Committee
- Legal Innovation for Sustainable Investment (LISI), Co-creator.
- Global Alliance of Impact Lawyers (GAIL), UK Regional Board member