Nigel is the firm’s Chairman and a Partner in the Maritime Group.
Nigel has been a Partner at Watson Farley & Williams since 1988. He is also Chairman of the firm.
He specialises in international finance with an emphasis on shipping finance, commercial shipping and the offshore and cruise industries. He advises a number of players in, and financiers to, the shipping industry and has previously been Singapore and Oslo Office Head.
Nigel is recognised a leading shipping finance lawyer both for the UK and globally by Legal 500 UK, Chambers UK and Chambers Global. In 2019, Chambers UK recognised his “esteemed reputation in the ship finance sphere,” with a client noting that “he is very well known for his approach and expertise. He has a very deep understanding and knowledge of the sector. He is also clear, concise and commercial”.
- Virgin Voyages on its entry into the cruise sector by placing orders with Fincantieri for three 110,000gt cruise ships, financed by >US$2bn SACE-backed loans, the largest ECA-backed non-recourse deal for a start-up cruise line to date
- Reliance Industries Ltd on shipbuilding, charter and financing contracts for the world’s first Very Large Ethane Carriers (VLEC), six vessels built at SHI in Korea and financed under a US$572m Korean ECA-backed financing
- Advising ING Bank on the US$319m non-recourse project financing for the construction of two newbuild Ice Class LNG carriers for two subsidiaries of Sovcomflot OAO. Marine Money named the deal its “Project Financing - West Deal of the Year” in 2014.
- Advising Teekay on the financing initiatives for Teekay Corporation and Teekay Offshore Partners L.P.
- Advised DNB Bank ASA, on behalf of the syndicate of lenders, on a US$1.35bn senior secured credit facility to the Ocean Rig group.
- St Catharine’s College, Cambridge University, MA
- London Business School, Diploma in Corporate Finance
memberships & associations
- Law Society of England & Wales