Jim is Global Aviation Sector co-head and a Partner in the Finance Group.
Jim has significant experience in advising financiers, lessors and operators on structured and asset finance, with the majority of his practice focussed on the aviation industry. He has advised on some of the most innovative, complex and high profile structured and asset finance transactions, including many ‘Deal of the Year’ award-winning transactions.
Jim’s experience includes debt finance, export finance, operating leasing, PDP finance, portfolio transfers, portfolio and warehouse financing, tax leasing products, debt capital markets products, Islamic finance, helicopter finance, business jet finance, engine finance, OEM purchase agreements, restructurings, regulatory and a range of corporate and commercial matters.
Jim has been recognised as a leading asset finance lawyer by prestigious legal directories, who describe him as “pragmatic, with a great commercial sense” and “very good at getting deals done”, “very commercial, bright and talented” and “genuinely one of the very rare aviation lawyers who combines strong technical expertise with an acute business sense”.
- Advising EMP in the loan and multi-tranche debt capital markets financing in respect of one Airbus A380 and two Boeing 777 aircraft for Emirates (Airfinance Journal’s Most Innovative Deal of the Year 2016).
- Advising Etihad Airways in the sale and leaseback of two Airbus A380 aircraft financed by a Murabaha facility from Dubai Islamic Bank, First Gulf Bank and Union National Bank (Airfinance Journal’s Sale and Leaseback Deal of the Year 2016).
- Advising BNP Paribas in the Coface-supported bond issuance in respect of ten ATR 72-600 aircraft for Lion Air (Airfinance Journal’s Export Credit Deal of the Year 2015).
- Advising Citi in the securitisation of Alpha’s shipping portfolio (Marine Money Securitisation Deal of the Year 2014).
- Advising JP Morgan in the first ever Coface-supported bond issuance in respect of one Airbus A380 aircraft for Emirates (Airfinance Journal Export Credit Agency Deal of the Year 2013).
- 2005 – 2006 · BBP Law School, Legal Practice Course
- 2003 – 2004 · BPP Law School, Graduate Diploma in Law
- 1997 – 2000 · University of Sussex, BEng (Hons) in Engineering (First Class)
memberships & associations
- Law Society of England & Wales
- International Society of Transport Aircraft Trading (ISTAT)