Richard is a Partner in the London Assets and Structured Finance Group.
Richard specialises in international finance and commercial contract work and in particular asset finance, project finance and leasing and commercial transactions in the maritime sector.
Richard has a wide range of experience advising major international shipping finance lenders and major international shipowners and operators across a broad spectrum of work.
This work spans complex financing structures, debt restructurings, shipping investments and divestments including the sale and purchase of shipping loan portfolios, sale and purchase transactions across all types of maritime assets including cruise vessels, leasing and charter arrangements, management service contracts and construction contracts.
Richard is recommended for shipping finance in legal directory Legal 500 UK 2018-19.
- Advising RBS in relation to the sale of part of its US$5bn shipping portfolio in five separate transactions to three purchasers. The transactions signified the exit from shipping of RBS, which was once the biggest maritime lender globally.
- Advising Trinity Investments D.A.C. and Deutsche Bank AG, London Branch as secured creditors/participants in the restructuring of Italian shipping company Gestioni Armatoriali under Article 182-bis of the Italian bankruptcy law.
- Advising DNB ASA and a syndicate of banks in relation to a K-sure backed US$110m loan facility to Euronav N.V. to finance the acquisition of two Korean built VLCCs.
- Advising a US based cruise operator in relation to the sale and leaseback of a cruise vessel to be entered into a JV with a Chinese tour operator.
- Advising a UK owner and operator in relation to the technical management services contract for its fleet including supervision services for its newbuilding project.
- Exeter University, LLB Hons
memberships & associations
- Law Society of England & Wales