Nicholas Yu is a Senior Associate in the Assets and Structured Finance group.
Nicholas specialises in asset finance and leasing with a focus on both the aviation and shipping sectors.
Nicholas’ extensive experience covers a wide range of asset finance and leasing transactions advising financial institutions, leasing companies, funds, operators and export credit agencies. He has previously completed a secondment with BNP Paribas and had extensive experience advising Chinese banks and leasing houses in both aviation and shipping sectors.
Nicholas joined Watson Farley & Williams from a magic circle firm in London having previously worked in China at other international law firms.
He speaks native Mandarin and Shanghainese.
- Acting for a major European bank on its financing for a major lessor for their purchase of a number of new Airbus aircraft to be leased to various airlines.
- Acting for a major operating lessor on in relation to its purchase, financing and leasing of a portfolio of new ATR aircraft to an Indian airline.
- Acting for an Asian airline on its PDP financing and operating lease of a number of new Boeing aircraft with a major lessor and associated lending business.
- Acting for European banks on their GIEK-backed financing of two offshore vessels for a JV set up by two major project management, engineering and construction players in energy industry.
- Acting for a private debt fund on its first sale and lease-back of one VLCC for a Chinese shipowner and the associated refinancing with an investment bank.
- BPP Law School, Legal Practice Course (Distinction)
- BPP Law School, Graduate Diploma in Law
- The University of Manchester, L.L.M.
- Shanghai University of International Business and Economics, L.L.B.
Memberships and Associations
The Law Society of England and Wales