Nathan is a Partner in the firm’s Dispute Resolution Group.
Nathan specialises in cross border disputes and international arbitration, particularly claims involving foreign governments under investment treaties and free trade agreements. Nathan’s experience includes representing both investors and States in commercial and investor-State arbitrations administered by the PCA under UNCITRAL and ICSID rules.
Nathan also specialises in advising on regulatory frameworks for emerging sectors, particularly investment projects in Deep Seabed Mining and Space.
His 10+ years’ experience includes arbitrations under the ICSID, HKIAC, ICC, LCIA, SCC, SIAC and UNCITRAL Rules and he has appeared in matters before the International Court of Justice.
Nathan is recognised as an emerging leader in international arbitration and won “Young ADR Practitioner of the Year” at the Australian ADR Awards and was the winner of the International Bar Associations’ Dispute Resolution Scholarship.
Prior to joining Watson Farley & Williams, Nathan was an Of Counsel in a leading British law firm.
- Advising and representing a NASDAQ listed entity in relation to its US billion-dollar seabed mining project in the Clarion-Clipperton Zone.
- Representing a South-East Asian State in a US$1bn UNCITRAL arbitration dispute concerning the award of a national energy concession.
- Representing Kingsgate Consolidated Limited & Kingsgate Capital Pty Ltd in an UNCITRAL arbitration against the Kingdom of Thailand under the Australia- Thailand FTA, concerning the expropriation of the Chatree Gold Mine.
- Representing Tantalum International Ltd & Arrowhead Resources Ltd in an ICSID arbitration against the Arab Republic of Egypt under the Australia-Egypt BIT, concerning the expropriation of the Abu Dabbab tantalum and tin mine.
- Advising and representing a State in relation to protecting and enforcing its rights under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
- 2014 · University of Sydney, LL.M (Awarded with Distinction)
- 2012 · University of Technology Sydney, LL. B (Hons)
- 2012 · Admitted as a lawyer of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
memberships and associations
- Law Society of New South Wales
- The Australian and New Zealand Society of International Law
- International Bar Association