Kay Kian is a partner in the Dispute Resolution Group.
Kay Kian specialises in the energy, maritime and insurance sectors, where he advises corporates and multi-nationals on international commercial arbitration and litigation.
He is a barrister and is admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales and an advocate and solicitor in Singapore. He has worked in London and Singapore and has been based in WFW’s Bangkok office since 2001.
Kay Kian is recognised as one of Thailand’s leading international arbitration and dispute resolution experts by legal directories Chambers Asia Pacific and Legal 500 Asia Pacific. In 2020, Chambers noted “he is extremely thorough and a very safe pair of hands” and “he has an in-depth understanding of Thai arbitration systems and the business culture in general.”
- Advising a Thai power provider against a Chinese contractor and Chinese guarantor in a Singapore arbitration under ICC rules, with claims/counterclaims exceeding US$100m, involving English, Thai and Chinese law.
- Advising reinsurers on liability exposure and quantum issues arising out of a high-profile oil spill in the Gulf of Thailand. The amount in dispute exceeded THB3bn.
- Advising a well-known hotel owner and operator as Defence Counsel, appointed by a global insurance corporation in claims brought in the Thai court for alleged nuisance and negligence.
- Advising reinsurers of the liability coverage provided to a listed Thai conglomerate, concerning coverage/liability/quantum of a claim for the supply of an industrial product which caused contamination at a refinery.
- Advising a Thai public company in a construction dispute worth THB960m involving the construction of a luxury, riverside hotel and shopping plaza in Bangkok, Thailand.
- 1998 · Admitted as a Solicitor England and Wales
- 1998 · Admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
- 1995 · Called to the Bar of England and Wales
- 1994 · University of Nottingham (LLB Hons)
memberships & associations
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators