Andrew is a partner in the London Dispute Resolution Group.
Andrew specialises in international arbitration, commercial litigation and resolving disputes outside the formal court or arbitral channels, including through negotiation and mediation.
He has particular expertise in the maritime, aviation, trade and energy sectors. His clients include banks, PE funds, other investors, lessors, shipowners, charterers and commodity traders. In addition, Andrew is a member of the firm’s innovation and technology initiative.
He is recognised as a Leading Individual by The Legal 500 UK 2021, based on testimonials including “excellent. Insightful, incisive and commercial. Really bright and a pleasure to work with”, “calm, focussed, diligent and thorough – and always good-humoured” and “extremely clever and has close attention to detail.”
Clients describe the team as having “an incredible level of industry knowledge in the energy and transport sectors, which gives them a real understanding of what their clients want and the issues which they face” and as an “experienced and multinational team with in-depth knowledge of issues related to certain very specific sectors (maritime, air, oil and gas)” (testimonials in The Legal 500 UK 2021).
- Advising buyers in international arbitration and related High Court proceedings relating to the cancellation of 11 shipbuilding contracts for bulk carriers. Successful in High Court and subsequent successful settlement.
- Advising buyers on the termination of an aircraft purchase agreement. Successful settlement.
- Advising major financial institution on the enforcement of security for a maritime loan, including vessel arrest and related High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings. Successful at every stage in court.
- Advising numerous aviation lessors on leasing disputes and repossessions. Some disputes ongoing, some successful settlements.
- Advising claimants in a Commercial Court trial relating to a joint venture dispute and connected fraud claim concerning a large scale and high-profile construction project in Germany. Successful settlement after trial.
- 2002 – 2004 · College of Law (London), Post Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course
- 1996 – 2002 · Durham University, MA Classics and BA Classics
memberships & associations
- Law Society of England and Wales
- London Shipping Law Centre (LSLC)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- London Solicitors Litigation Association (LSLA)