Alexandros is a Partner in the Asset Finance Group.
Alexandros’ practice focusses on advising major international banks on shipping finance transactions, restructuring and work-out situations and handling inter-creditor and subordination arrangements in relation to every type of vessel. He also advises shipping companies on the sale and purchase of vessels, negotiating shipbuilding contracts and refund guarantees, joint ventures and shareholders’ agreements as well as debt and equity arrangements.
Alexandros represents lenders on the financing of commercial and leisure aircraft, including aircraft registrations and mortgages in Greece. His Greek law practice also covers shipping finance and litigation cases, as well as a broad range of civil, corporate/commercial, project and real estate matters, both contentious and non-contentious.
Alexandros is recognised as a leading shipping finance lawyer in the Greek market by legal directories Chambers Europe and Chambers Global. In 2019, they noted that clients said “he has a good understanding of the balance between banks and shipping companies, and he understands how to keep a good equilibrium and effectively negotiate”.
He is qualified both in Greece and in England & Wales.
- Acting for a Swiss bank in relation to a US$125,000,000 loan facility to a major Greek shipping company to refinance indebtedness secured over five large gas carriers.
- Assisted HSBC Bank plc in relation to a US$80,000,000 loan facility to ten Star Bulk entities to refinance indebtedness and provide working capital in respect of 10 bulk carrier vessels.
- Acting for a Dutch bank in relation to a US$100,000,000 loan facility to four entities of [a major Greek shipping company] to refinance indebtedness secured over four VLCCs.
- Acting for a US fund in relation to a lease financing of a bulk carrier vessel by Greek interests to assist with the acquisition of the vessel from Japanese owners.
- Assisting a Japanese bank in relation to a US$62,000,000 loan facility to a major Greek shipping company to assist with the acquisition of a VLCC.
- 1998 – 1999 · LL.M., Commercial and Corporate Law | King’s College London
- 1995 – 1998 · LL.B., Law | University of Essex
memberships & associations
- 2003 · England & Wales
- 2000 · Piraeus Bar Association