Alan is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution Group.
Alan focusses on cross-border arbitration and dispute resolution, particularly in the transport and insurance/reinsurance sectors. He has extensive experience of litigation and dispute resolution across the Asia-Pacific region, including Australia and India, South East and North East Asia.
His non-contentious practice includes advising foreign investors on their investments and operations in both Thailand and in other ASEAN member states.
Clients include multinational corporations, international airlines, insurers and reinsurers and international organisations who he advises on their operations in Thailand including mergers and acquisitions, contract negotiations, commercial and coverage disputes, employment law and regulatory issues.
Alan is consistently ranked as a leading lawyer in Thailand, most notably for his aviation and insurance sector expertise by legal directories Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global, Legal 500 Asia Pacific and IFLR1000. In 2020, Chambers and Legal 500 noted that clients admire “his ability to turn really complicated legal jargon into something we can understand” and applaud that he “stands out for his accessibility and knowledge.”
He is qualified to practise in England and Wales and Australia.
- Defending Dhipaya and their reinsurers, led by Allianz, in proceedings in Thai court by Punj Lloyd, arising out of damage to drilling equipment during the installation of an oil pipeline.
- Advising a major Asian insurance company on a Thai restructuring including considering the most suitable corporate structures to enhance commercial operations in a highly competitive market.
- Acting as the outsourced claims team for an Asian airlines in claims and demands brought by passengers for delayed or cancelled flights pursuant to EU regulations.
- 1994 · University of Sydney – LLB
- 1991 · University of Sydney – MA
memberships & associations
- Law Society of England and Wales (2002)
- Registered Foreign Lawyer (Singapore) (2000)
- Law Society of New South Wales (Admitted to the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the Federal and High Courts of Australia) (1995)