ALAN IS A PARTNER IN OUR SYDNEY OFFICE WITH A LOCAL AND REGIONAL FOCUS.
After 20 years in South East Asia, including 14 in our Bangkok office, Alan returned to Sydney in 2021. Alan focuses on transport, insurance and hospitality and provides a broad range of contentious, non-contentious, regulatory and commercial advice and assistance to clients in Australia and across the Asia-Pacific. He has extensive experience of litigation and dispute resolution across the Asia-Pacific region, including Australia, India and South East and North East Asia.
In his transport practice, Alan advises logistics companies, shipping lines, airlines and traders on a range of issues including breach of sale agreements, breach of contract claims, charterparty and contract of carriage disputes, warehousing and storage/handling disputes, vessel detention, infrastructure claims and disputes and commodity transaction disputes. Alan is a member of the Legal 500 Hall of Fame for Transport in South East Asia. Alan also advises on regulatory issues relating to e-commerce and ESG and regularly advises and represents clients in the hotel and hospitality sector in contentious matters.
Alan also advises clients on their e-commerce and online operations, including inventory supply agreements and disputes, regulatory compliance and investigations, data privacy and consumer disclosure requirements and prosecutions and competition law. Alan regularly acts as Asia-Pacific and global lead counsel on the launch of travel, flight and online insurance platforms. Since 2012, Alan has been consistently ranked as a leading insurance lawyer by legal directories Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global, Legal 500 Asia Pacific, IFLR 1000 and Expert Guides and has specific expertise in relation to online sales and marketing of consumer insurance products.
Alan advises a broad range of investors on their investments and operations in ASEAN with a particular focus on cross-border investment in regulated sectors such as insurance and transport.
In 2022, Chambers said “[Alan] provides excellent advice, commercially aware, reasonable costs and thorough engagement” and that he “gives advice that is to the point and he always tries to find a workable solution”.
He is qualified to practise in England and Wales and Australia.
- Global lead counsel to Agoda on the launch and roll-out of the Flights and travel insurance platforms.
- Represented a global logistics company and their insurers in a multi-million Euro dispute with a major oil company on a dispute arising out of a rejected shipment of petrol. The English and Thai law dispute was arbitrated in Singapore and dealt with a range of issues in relation to the duties of the logistics company, their liability exposure and the role of government agencies and departments on their liability exposure.
- Lead and Australian counsel to CALC on the lease of 4 737MAX aircraft to Virgin Australia.
- Advised on enforcement of restraint of trade undertakings of senior hotel industry executives, including NSW Supreme Court injunctions and court proceedings and negotiation of revised and updated undertakings in respect of their future business activities in the hotel sector in Australia and Singapore
- Thai counsel to VietJet Air on the launch, incorporation and registration of Thai VietJet Air.
- 1994 · University of Sydney – LLB
- 1991 · University of Sydney – MA
memberships & associations
- Law Society of England and Wales (2002)
- Registered Foreign Lawyer (Singapore) (2000)
- Law Society of New South Wales (Admitted to the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the Federal and High Courts of Australia) (1995)