On the 23 September 2021, the UK government published an open consultation, ‘Making flexible working the default’, which considers five ways in which the current legal framework for making flexible working requests could change. The consultation will close on 1 December 2021 and can be found here.
We look at what the consultation’s proposals could mean for employers, including:
- making the right to request flexible working a ‘day one right’;
- whether the current eight business reasons that employers have for refusing flexible working requests remain valid;
- requiring employers to suggest alternatives and reach a compromise with employees;
- the administrative process underpinning the Right to Request Flexible Working; and
- requesting a temporary arrangement.