Valerie is counsel in the Finance group.
Valerie advises banks and financial institutions in asset, offshore oil & gas, project finance and various general banking & finance transactions. She has acted for syndicates in debt restructuring, work-out and enforcement situations and has also acted for various shipowners as well as container and ship leasing companies, on sale-and-leaseback transactions and other asset financing structures.
Valerie has worked on various financings involving the leading export credit agencies in Asia, with a particular focus on transactions with CEXIM, KEXIM, SINOSURE and K-SURE in the maritime sector.
Valerie has been recognised recently by Legal 500 and she has been Chambers Asia Pacific as an up and coming lawyer in the shipping finance sector, clients have commented that Valerie is “very much on top of her game” and “a safe pair of hands, who is very good and client friendly”.
- Advising a syndicate of lenders led by Citibank N.A. and Nordea Bank Finland plc, New York Branch on a Sinosure-backed term loan facility of up to US$964m to Gener8 Maritime.
- Advising lenders regarding a US$318m syndicated senior loan facility which finances the acquisition of five newbuildings built by Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines, Inc, by certain subsidiaries of CMBFL.
- Acting as lead counsel in advising a Chinese leasing company on the sale and lease back financing with certain subsidiaries of an energy and commodities company in two transactions.
- Advising a leading dry bulk shipping company as borrower and guarantor’s counsel in the refinancing of existing facilities and the provision of new financing for its acquisition of 5 newbuildings.
- Advising a Chinese financial institution on potential restructuring of the facilities of the international shipping company and other potential causes of action available to the client.
- 2017 · Solicitor, Hong Kong
- 2010 · Solicitor, England and Wales
- 2008 · Admitted as Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
- 2007 · Diploma in Singapore Law, National University of Singapore
- 2006 · Called to the English Bar, Middle Temple
- 2005 · LLB (Hons), University of Manchester, United Kingdom
Memberships and Associations
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Singapore Academy of Law
- Middle Temple, United Kingdom