Ratthakarn is a partner in the dispute resolution group.
Ratthakarn has served as lead trial lawyer in high profile multi-jurisdictional cases for almost three decades. His clients range from government, multinational corporations and major Thai companies and conglomerates.
He specialises in international trade, commercial disputes, business crime, arbitration and employment law with a particular focus in the energy, construction, maritime and insurance sectors.
Ratthakarn has extensive experience as both arbitrator and counsel on cases under various arbitration rules including the PCA, ICC, SIAC, KCAB, TAI, THAC, OIC and ad hoc arbitrations under UNCITRAL rules.
He is recognised as a leading lawyer for dispute resolution in Thailand by legal directories Legal 500 Asia Pacific and Chambers Asia Pacific. In 2021, the latter described him as “one of the leading advocates in the Thai courts” and that “he is very reassuring and has a great appreciation for how Thai courts work.”
Ratthakarn is fluent in Thai and English.
- Representing Kingdom of Thailand and the Ministry of Energy in multi-billion US$ arbitration proceedings relating to decommissioning disputes with oil major concessionaries concerning assets in the Gulf of Thailand.
- Successfully representing PTT Public Company Limited in the UK Supreme Court hearing relating to a multi-million-dollar dispute between PTT and Triple Point Technology, Inc.
- Representing Bangchak Corporation Public Company Limited in a multi-million Thai Baht claim brought against them in the Thai Courts by a distributor of lubricant products with a decided success in the Supreme Court.
- Advising Ford Motor Company and its Thai affiliates in contingent business interruption claims arising out of the 2011 Thai Floods against its insurer in Thai Courts.
- Advising two contractors and their insurers who were part of a consortium which designed and laid the runways at Suvarnabhumi Airport Thailand with US$200m in issue.
- 1999 · Institute of Maritime Law, Faculty of Law, University of Southampton, UK Certificate, Maritime Law Short Course
- 1993 · Qualified to practice (First Class licence)
- 1992 · Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand LL.B
memberships & associations
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, Solicitors Regulation Authority, UK
- Associate member, The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK
- Arbitration Committee, ICC Thailand
- Thai Bar Association
- Lawyers Council of Thailand