Ratthakarn is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution Group.
Ratthakarn has served as lead trial lawyer in high profile multi-jurisdictional cases for the past 25 years.
He specialises in international trade, commercial disputes, business crime, arbitration and employment law. He has vast experience in the energy, maritime and insurance sectors and has acted as a legal expert witness in many international arbitrations, and English, Singapore and Hong Kong High Court cases.
Ratthakarn also has extensive experience in acting for major clients in proceedings under a number of arbitration rules including the ICC, SIAC, KCAB, TAI, THAC, OIC and ad hoc arbitrations under UNCITRAL rules.
He is recognised as a leading lawyer for dispute resolution in Thailand by legal directories Legal 500 Asia Pacific and Chambers Asia Pacific. In 2020, they noted “he has an amazing level of confidence and knowledge” and that “he is very reassuring and has a great appreciation for how Thai courts work.”
Ratthakarn is fluent in Thai and English.
- Successfully advising and defending two contractors and their insurers who were part of a consortium which designed and laid the runways at Suvarnabhumi Airport Thailand with US$200m in issue.
- Acting for a Thai national energy company on a multi-million dollar dispute in respect of claims and counterclaims relating to the procurement of CTRM System in the English High Court.
- Advising a global energy company on a wide range issues in connection with employment matters in relation to an affiliated company with principle assets in Thailand and Malaysia.
- Advising a major oil and gas company in an ICC arbitration relating to a gas sale agreement dispute with US$10.6m in issue.
- Advising a major Thai shareholding company in a JV owning a hydroelectric plant in Laos in relation to the failure of a dam and potential claims arising against the contractor.
- 1999 · Institute of Maritime Law, Faculty of Law, University of Southampton, UK Certificate, Maritime Law Short Course
- 1993 · Qualified to practice (First Class licence)
- 1992 · Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand LL.B
memberships & associations
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, Solicitors Regulation Authority, UK
- Associate member, The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK
- Arbitration Committee, ICC Thailand
- Thai Bar Association
- Lawyers Council of Thailand