Michael is a Partner in the Finance Group.
Michael specialises in cross-border finance transactions across a variety of sectors including maritime (various types of ships and container boxes), aviation (helicopters, corporate jets and commercial aircraft) and sport.
He advises financiers, owners and operators on a wide range of domestic and international asset and structured finance products including debt and equity financing and leasing, as well as on restructurings and work-outs. Michael also provides regulatory and enforcement advice across a range of sectors.
Michael has particular expertise in Islamic finance, ranging from acting for banks on Murabaha financings in the aviation and offshore oil and gas sectors to Ijara leasing transactions in respect of various types of equipment and container boxes.
Michael is recommended as an expert UAE-based finance lawyer by legal directory Legal 500 EMEA 2019 and as a leading helicopter finance lawyer by Corporate Jet Investor magazine. He is a member of the editorial board of website LawInSport.com.
- Advising a group of 30 international and local banks on the successful financing of the US$14bn merger between Hapag-Lloyd and United Arab Shipping Company.
- Advising Bank of London and The Middle East plc on numerous transactions including the purchase and Ijara lease financing for Al Hilal Bank in Abu Dhabi in relation to their fleet of new ATM equipment.
- Advising Bank of London and the Middle East, Lloyds Bank and SMBC on a EUR30,000,000 Islamic and conventional PDP financing facility for LCI Helicopters, including related regulatory issues.
- Advising Crestline on the US$30,000,000 loan facility for the purpose of financing up to 100% of the acquisition cost of certain ISO tank containers purchased or to be purchased by the Borrower.
- Advising Dubai Navigation on a senior loan facility of up to $25,750,000 for the part-financing of the acquisition of three Panamax Bulkers, one Handysize Bulker and one Feeder vessel.
- 2003 – 2004 · College of Law, London, Legal Practice Course, Second Class Honours
- 2000 – 2003 · University College London, LLB Laws, Second Class
memberships & associations
- Law Society of England and Wales