Partner New York
John is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution Group.
John’s practice focuses on commercial litigation and arbitration, insolvencies and work-outs and a broad range of corporate and commercial work ranging from stock and asset acquisitions and sales to company filings and commercial contracts.
John advises and represents lenders, vessel owners, insurers, trading houses, industrial and software companies in asset enforcement and defense proceedings, bankruptcies and foreclosures, complex fraud and corporate malfeasance actions, and mergers and acquisitions.
John is a regular speaker at conferences and his articles are regularly published. His recent performance in a high stakes arbitration was highlighted by GAR 100 2017 as “exemplary” and he was noted to be “a person a client may rely upon.”
- Advising Sims Metal Management in the acquisition of a deep sea export facility consisting of more than nine acres with a rail-serviced pier and two deep water berths on the Providence River.
- Representing HSH Nordbank, the largest secured creditor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding filed by Sobelmar Shipping Inc., obtaining dismissal of the debtor’s petition.
- Representing a Marshall Islands corporation and the guarantor of shipbuilding contract being sued by Samsung Heavy Industries before the Marshall Islands High Court and Supreme Court, obtaining dismissal of Samsung’s action.
- Representing publicly listed trading company in ICDR arbitration involving joint trading venture with a Brazilian metal producer.
- Advising real estate property owner in US$60m ICDR arbitration involving complex fraud claims related to commercial real estate property investments in Texas and New York.
- 1989 – 1991 · Tulane University, J.D.; cum laude, Order of the Coif, Lemle & Kelher Award for Outstanding Maritime Law Student
- 1983 – 1987 · Maritime College, State University of New York
memberships & associations
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- FSMAA (Ft. Schulyer) Alumni Association
- Maritime Law Association
- Board Member, Baltic American Chamber of Commerce
- PressWFW advises clients on NAC Chapter 11 restructuring
- PressWFW advises Global Container Assets on US$230m container box portfolio ABS
- PressWFW advises Buss on US$275m container box portfolio ABS involving equity sale
- ArticleShip leasing – risk of reclassification in US proceedings
- ArticleCaveat Lender: Bankruptcy Considerations for Shipping Lenders