GUAN JIAN IS THE FOREIGN LEGAL CONSULTANT (PRC) OF WATSON FARLEY & WILLIAMS, BASED IN HONG KONG.
Guan Jian has over 10 years of experience practicing law in PRC and on an international basis. His practice focuses on both transactional and contentious shipping matters, with extensive experience and expertise in handling financing transactions across the maritime and energy sectors.
He has both private practice and in-house expertise. Prior to joining WFW, he was senior legal counsel in ICBC Leasing and China Merchants Commerce Financial Leasing (where he was also a member of its credit committee). He has handled a wide array of high profile and complex international shipping and offshore financing transactions, and many cross-border restructuring and enforcement work. Before moving in-house, he worked in a leading maritime law firms in China, where he advised clients in complex litigation and arbitration cases in the PRC, Hong Kong and London.
Qualified in China, Guan Jian is fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese and English.
- Advising AVIC Leasing on the sale-and-lease-back transaction of 2 Maltese flagged LNG carriers valued at US$136m.
- Advising Minsheng Financial Leasing on the sale-and-lease-back transaction of 9 Maltese flagged container vessels valued at about US$63m.
- Advising China Merchant Commerce Leasing on a US$310m syndicate loan facility arranged by HSBC, CITIC Bank and Agriculture Bank of China.
- As in house counsel, structuring and negotiating a joint venture of two major Chinese leasing companies in financing the construction of a cruise ship valued at US$855m.
- As in house counsel, negotiating with Petrobras and supervising the documentation for the financial lease facility in relation to an FPSO valued at US$1billion.
- 2007.9-2009.1 University College London, London, England — LLM
- 2003.9-2007.7 Dalian Maritime University, Dalian, PR China — LLB