Guan Jian is the Of Counsel (PRC) of Watson Farley & Williams, based in Hong Kong.
Guan Jian has over 10 years of experience practicing law in PRC and on an international basis. His practice focuses on both transactional and contentious shipping matters, with extensive experience and expertise in handling financing transactions across the maritime and energy sectors.
He has both private practice and in-house expertise. Prior to joining WFW, he was senior legal counsel in ICBC Leasing and China Merchants Commerce Financial Leasing (where he was also a member of its credit committee). He has handled a wide array of high profile and complex international shipping and offshore financing transactions, and many cross-border restructuring and enforcement work. Before moving in-house, he worked in a leading maritime law firms in China, where he advised clients in complex litigation and arbitration cases in the PRC, Hong Kong and London.
Qualified in China, Guan Jian is fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese and English.
- Managing the legal works of a four-rig operating lease transaction valued at USD760 million.
- Managing the legal works of a three-rig financial lease transaction valued at USD474 million.
- Structuring and negotiating a joint venture project with another major Chinese leasing company in financing the construction of a cruise ship valued at 855 million.
- Handling the company’s defense actions with external counsels in China, UK and US against claims brought by a US brokerage firm and achieving victory for the company.
- Managing the legal works and negotiating with Petrobras in a financial lease transaction for an FPSO valued at USD 1billion.
- 2007.9-2009.1 University College London, London, England — LLM
- 2003.9-2007.7 Dalian Maritime University, Dalian, PR China — LLB