T: +66 2665 7801 M: +66 81 925 1600
STEVEN IS HEAD OF THE BANGKOK OFFICE AND A PARTNER IN THE DISPUTE RESOLUTION GROUP.
Steven specialises in complex international disputes, in particular, London and Asia-based arbitrations involving oil and gas, power and large-scale projects and specifically renewable energy disputes. He is also highly experienced in shipping litigation. He has used this know-how on commercial projects to help avoid disputes and manage risk.
Steven has sat as an arbitrator (sole and co-arbitrator and Chair) in ICC, SIAC, TAI and ad hoc arbitrations. This includes English Law and Thai Law in particular but also under the Laws of other countries.
He is recognised as a leading international arbitration expert in Thailand by legal directories Legal 500 Asia Pacific and Chambers Asia Pacific. In 2021, Chambers called him “fantastically commercial and strategic”, and one client noted that “He is deeply involved in Thai culture and has a huge number of connections.”
- Advising two contractors and their insurers who were part of a consortium which designed and laid the runways at Suvarnabhumi Airport Thailand, which cracked with US$200m in issue.
- Advising a Thai power provider against a Chinese contractor and Chinese guarantor in a Singapore arbitration under ICC rules, with claims/counterclaims exceeding US$100m, involving English, Thai and Chinese law.
- Advising ARS International on a breach of a confidentiality agreement by the seller of shares in a Pakistan power company. Arbitration in Singapore under SIAC Rules with US$100m in issue.
- Advising a Singapore oil & gas company in an SIAC arbitration of a US$90m breach of a Farm-Out Agreement by an oil & gas major and its future drilling of a hydrocarbon well in the Sulu Sea.
- Advising the owner of a 100MW coal powered station in Cambodia, in a SIAC arbitration under English law of a FIDIC based contract relating to the contractors’ failure to rectify defective works.
- 1988 · Chester College of Law, England LLB (Hons)
- 1987 · Cambridge University, England MA (Hons) History
- 1987 · Chester College of Law, England Examination Pass
- 1986 · Cambridge University, England BA (Hons) History
- 1983 · Cambridge University, England (Robinson College) Exhibition Award to read History
memberships & associations
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Member of SIAC
- ArticleISDS and Climate Change: What Happens Next?
- ArticleNew Thailand-EU Partnership & Cooperation Agreement: a step towards a Free Trade Agreement?
- PressWFW further strengthens Asia Disputes practice with second Singapore Partner hire
- ArticleThe 2022 ICSID Rules – What do they mean for Asia?
- PressWFW announces new Supervisory Board in management restructuring