Soraya is Counsel in the Dispute Resolution Group.
Soraya is an experienced arbitration practitioner. Prior to joining Watson Farley & Williams, she practiced in the Dispute Resolution teams of DWF (Middle East) LLP and Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla. She has wide-ranging experience in all types of international commercial arbitrations, having acted as advising counsel under major institutional arbitration rules (including ICC, SCC, LCIA, DIFC-LCIA and DIAC) and ad hoc in arbitrations seated in Europe and the Middle East in relation to a wide variety of industry sectors, including banking and finance, real estate/construction as well as oil & gas.
Soraya also regularly sits as arbitrator (sole arbitrator, co-arbitrator and chair) in arbitrations mainly related to real estate, sale and purchase disputes and commercial disputes.
Soraya has authored a number of publications in the field of arbitration and more specifically in relation to Middle Eastern arbitration related topics.
Soraya is fluent in French, English and Arabic.
- • A UAE-based fire-proofing company in a dispute in relation to the construction of Abu Dhabi Airport Midfield Terminal under the DIFC-LCIA Rules with seat in DIFC and governed by UAE law.
- • Advising a UAE-based investment company in a dispute arising out of the performance of a Murabaha financing agreement under the DIFC-LCIA Rules with seat in Dubai and governed by English law.
- • Advising a UAE-based company in a dispute against a German manufacturer in relation to the supply and installation of equipment and an industrial plant under the LCIA Rules with seat in London and governed by English law.
- • A US$80m plus dispute arising out of the performance of a long-term gas supply agreement between two Pakistani companies under the ICC Rules with seat in Singapore and governed by English law.
- • An IT services provider in a dispute arising from the performance of an IT services agreement for Abu Dhabi Police under the ICC Rules with seat in Abu Dhabi and governed by UAE law.
1999 – Maîtrise in Private law, Assas University, Paris, France (with honors)
2000 – DEA in Private International Law and International Trade Law, Assas University, Paris, France (with honors)
2002 – Ecole de Formation du Barreau (Paris Bar School)
2003 – Admitted to the Paris Bar
memberships & associations
Chartered Institute of Arbitrators