Michael is a partner in the corporate and capital markets groups.
Michael has over 25 years’ experience advising on international capital markets, cross-border M&A, exempt fund formation and Islamic finance transactions. His clients include private equity firms, financial institutions, underwriters, natural resource companies and sovereign wealth funds from North America and the MENA region.
Michael obtained a BA (Hons) in international relations from Trinity College at the University of Toronto in 1987 and graduated from Queen’s University law school in Canada in 1990. Michael also served as a Warfare Officer in the Royal Canadian Navy.
- Advised on World Bank’s multibillion dollar privatization of Zambian copper mines and related infrastructure, as advised by NM Rothschild.
- Advised multiple Canadian issuers and their underwriters on numerous Can-Am cross border private placements, MJDS and other public offerings by Canadian energy and mining companies, such as Teck, Enbridge, Falconbridge (now Xstrata), TransAlta and Methanex, as well as their underwriters, such as CIBC World Markets, RBC Capital Markets, TD Securities and Scotia Capital.
- Advised a New York Private Equity firm on numerous investments, and co-investments with sovereign wealth and pension funds, in the United States and the Middle East, in infrastructure projects and businesses in the TMT, natural resource, and hospitality sectors.
- Advised multiple Canadian companies and their financial advisors on numerous Can-Am cross border mergers & acquisitions, both public and private, such as Lakeshore Gold (Canada) in its C$945 million take-over by Tahoe Resources (US) and Lion-Ore International, in its C$6.8 billion take-over by Norilisk Nickel (Russia), as well as cross border transactions advised on by Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, CIBC World Markets, RBC Capital Markets and other financial advisors.
- 1990 · Queen’s University, Canada, LLB
- 1987 · University of Toronto, Trinity College. B.A.