Marcus is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution group in the Hong Kong office.
Marcus has represented many shipping companies, oil companies (including oil majors), aviation companies, banks, FPSO owners, contractors, subcontractors and yards, in a variety of disputes, with certain claims exceeding US$1billion.
“Very easy to deal with, knowledgeable and responsive.” Chambers Global 2018
“… provided fantastic commercial dispute resolution advice in connection with… JOAs, PSCs and oil field licences/concessions.” (GC Listed Oil Company, 2018)
“… superb, solution-oriented, litigator who is extraordinarily knowledgeable, hardworking and responsive. He is the ‘go-to’ arbitration practitioner in the oil & gas … sector…” (Oil Major Claims Manager, 2018)
“… the ‘amazing’ Marcus Gordon is recommended” (Legal 500 2014)
“… stands out as a very impressive practitioner.” (Chambers Asia-Pacific 2014)
“… prompt, effective and diligent litigation support in connection with several highly contentious aircraft redeliveries … His grasp of the legal, technical and commercial issues is superb.” (GC at Leading Airline, 2018)
Marcus has sat, or is sitting, as arbitrator in 20 international arbitrations, primarily in the oil & gas, shipping and commodities sectors. He has written numerous arbitration awards.
Marcus is on the following panels: HKIAC, SIAC, KLRCA; SCMA; SIAC SGX-DC; SIAC Emergency Arbitrator.
Marcus is the principle author of the “Oil & Gas Arbitration” chapter in Arbitration in Singapore: A Practical Guide, Sweet & Maxwell, 2014.
- Acting for an oil major for several years in relation to a multi-billion dollar oil field development dispute.
- Acting for numerous shipowners in connection with shipbuilding disputes with issues ranging from delay, force majeure, poor construction and illegality (non-compliance with SOLAS).
- Representing numerous aviation companies in connection with aircraft redelivery and defective engine disputes.
- Acting for numerous power producers in disputes relating to the supply of power stations.
- 1996 – 1997 · CPE and LPC from the College of Law, Guildford
- 1995 · First Class honours with distinction from London University
memberships & associations
- Society of Construction Law (Singapore)
- Committee member of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (until 2014).