Laura is a Of Counsel in the Dispute Resolution group.
Laura specialises in construction and engineering disputes. Her focus is particularly on infrastructure, real estate and energy sectors.
Laura’s experience includes leading on multi-party international arbitrations in the Middle-East, China, South America and Europe as well as on High Court (TCC) litigation and applications to the Supreme Court, domestic adjudication, mediation and expert determination. She also advises on risk assessment, dispute prevention and management and settlement negotiation.
In the past, Laura acted for employers, developers, contractors, subcontractors and consultants and has experience of disputes arising in connection with interim and final account payments, insolvency, defects, delays in conjunction with extensions of time and variations under all forms of construction contract (standard and bespoke). She has been advising UK and international clients across social housing, residential and commercial developments, hospitality, infrastructure and energy sectors.
Laura speaks at industry events (including for RICS) on practical completion, international arbitration, litigation, adjudication, payment, bribery and insolvency and regularly publishes articles in a number of industry and academic publications such as the Construction Law Magazine, The Conveyancer and Property Lawyer, Construction News, Construction Manager, Construction Law International and the Construction Law Journal and has recorded podcasts on construction law aspects.
Laura was on a secondment with Network Rail as part of the Wales & Western Region department working closely with the in-house team as well as engineers, surveyors and claim insurance handlers. By way of example, she advised on openings/closures of Heathrow Express platforms, ground conditions, art object transport and installation and asset protection agreement negotiation.
Laura was also seconded to Japan where she assisted with aviation projects and international arbitration.
As of September 2022, she is a Visiting Fellow at King’s College London and teaches on the Construction Law and Dispute Resolution MSc programme.
Laura is a tripos supervisor (land/private law) at the University of Cambridge.
As part of the Brooking Prize competition, Laura was awarded a High Commendation in 2012 and Commendation in 2017 by the Society of Construction Law (Australia).
Laura speaks English, German, Rumanian, Czech and Slovak.
- Advising a joint venture main contractor in a US$142m ICC arbitration brought by its sub-contractor in relation to a major new infrastructure development project in Qatar focusing on variations, delay and breach of contract.
- Acting for a JV contractor as to a large mixed-use development in Kazakhstan with claims totalling over US$350m under ADCCAC Rules with seat in Abu Dhabi.
- Representing an Austrian contractor in an ICC arbitration with extension of time and variation claims in excess of €70m arising from the rehabilitation of a rail network in Romania.
- Representing an Egyptian employer in an ICC arbitration in relation to an ammonium nitrate plant with the project totalling about US$650m.
- Advising a London Council in the TCC on a multi-party litigation against a Housing Association and insurer regarding a claim of over £10m for fire safety and other building defects. Providing advice on case strategy, bringing claims under the Defective Premises Act 1972, time-limitation and settlement negotiation.
- 2015 – 2016 · BPP University London – LLM (PLP)
- 2006 – 2007 · BPP Law School London – Legal Practice Course
- 2004 – 2005 · BPP Law School London – Graduate Diploma in Law
- 2001 – 2004 · Oxford University, St John’s College – MA (Oxon)
Memberships and associations
- Society of Construction Law
- 2019 · Higher Rights of Audience (Civil Proceedings) – Solicitor Advocate
- 2010 · Admitted as a Solicitor by the Law Society of England & Wales