Senior Global Advisor New York
Jeffrey is a Senior Global Advisor in the Aviation group, based in our London and New York offices.
Jeffrey has extensive experience in the aviation industry, particularly in relation to international law and policy.
Jeffrey serves as the Secretary General of the Aviation Working Group, a not-for-profit international industry group that works on the development of policies, regulations, and rules designed to facilitate advanced international aviation financing and leasing. Jeffrey leads all global projects on behalf of the AWG, including the development, implementation and national ratification of the Cape Town Convention (CTC), the development of the Global Aircraft Trading System (GATS), and the launch of the AWG Carbon Calculator (ACC). Jeffrey coordinates AWG’s work addressing the impacts on aviation financing and leasing from COVID -19, Russian’s military action in Ukraine, and ESG regulation. He continues in these roles for the AWG on secondment from Watson Farley & Williams, which acts as AWG’s international counsel.
Jeffrey is a senior research fellow at Oxford University’s Harris Manchester College and an affiliate member of the law faculty at the University of Oxford. He has previously been professor of global business law at the University of Washington where he was the founding co-director of its global business law institute.
Prior to joining Watson Farley & Williams, Jeffrey held positions within US and international law firms based in London, New York, Seattle, and Washington D.C., with secondments in Paris and Tokyo.
- On behalf of the Aviation Working Group, coordinating all work in relation to the development, negotiation, and national ratification and implementation of the Cape Town Convention (CTC).
- On behalf of the Aviation Working Group, coordinating all work g in relation to the development of the Global Aircraft Trading System (GATS), a fully electronic platform for the transfer of aircraft subject to leases.
- On behalf of the Aviation Working Group, coordinating all work in relation to the assessment of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) in the context of aviation finance and leasing, including the launch of the AWG Carbon Calculator.
- Columbia Law School, J.D.
- Florida State University, B.A.
memberships and associations
- University of Washington School of Law, Global Business Law Institute, Industry Advisory Board (2021)
- International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT), Senior Advisor (2019 – present)
- International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT) Foundation, President (2013 – present)
- Cape Town Convention Academic Project (CTCAP), Co-Director (2011 – present)
- Cape Town Convention (CTC) International Registry, International Advisory Board Chair (2003 – present)