Greg de Mesquita
Special Counsel Sydney
Greg is a Special Counsel in the Corporate and M&A group, focussing on Hotels & Hospitality.
He specialises in hotel acquisitions and disposals, hotel developments (including branded residences and mixed-use developments), management arrangements (including management agreements, licensing arrangements and lease agreements) and structuring and shareholder agreements in connection to both hotel operations and ownership. He has experience in projects across the Asia Pacific region, in particular the Australia and Vietnam markets, where he regularly represents owners and operators.
Prior to becoming a Hotels and Hospitality specialist, Greg worked as a real estate lawyer. He has acted on the full suite of property transactions including acquisitions and disposals, project delivery agreements, major leasing projects, crown land transactions and corporate real estate. As a real estate lawyer, he represented a broad array of clients across a number of different asset classes, with particular focus on commercial, agricultural and accommodation assets.
- Advising Tenant on development and long term lease of new CBD Hotel (New South Wales, Australia): Advising Tenant (an international management company) in relation to agreement for lease, lease and associated documents for the development and long term lease of a Sydney CBD site to be operated under its premium brand. Advice included obtaining FIRB approval and structuring advice.
- Advising Australian Hotel Fund on acquisition of a CBD hotel portfolio in South Australia, Australia: Advising purchaser (fund managed by an ASX - listed funds manager) on a portfolio of hotel assets, including a prominent CBD luxury hotel. Advice included property, business and corporate due diligence, negotiating acquisition documents (including master sale agreement covering multiple properties and businesses), providing structuring and finance assistance, liquor licence advice and assistance with establishing new hotel fund.
- Advising Australian Hotel Fund on sale of mixed-use precinct (Victoria, Australia): Advising vendor (several funds managed by an ASX – listed funds manager) on sale of mixed-use precinct comprising hotel, student accommodation, commercial office space and vacant land and associated hotel and student accommodation businesses. Advice included vendor due diligence, preparing/negotiating acquisition documents, structuring advice.
- Advising Owner on management arrangements (Phu Quoc and Grand Ha Long Bay, Vietnam): Acting for Vietnamese based owner/developer on the negotiation of the hotel management agreements for both ultra-luxury hotels and resorts and upper-upscale hotels and resorts. Assistance including structuring advice, negotiating management agreements, preparation of branded residences transaction documents and assistance in relation to non-hotel components of the development.
- Shareholders agreement for new accommodation brand (Vietnam/Singapore): Advising on structuring, establishment and operation of a hotel management platform for hotel portfolio in Asia Pacific. Assistance included preparation of template agreements, preparation and negotiating of shareholders agreement and shareholder finance arrangements.
- Macquarie University, LL.B.
- Macquarie University, B.A.
memberships and associations
- Law Society of New South Wales