Daniel is a Partner in the Tax and Regulatory Groups.
His practice focuses on US tax aspects of cross-border transactions and US trade sanctions.
Daniel’s tax experience includes structuring transactions to achieve the optimum tax result by minimizing withholding tax and addressing anti-deferral regimes. Daniel also advises several clients regarding the US Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), both in compliance and in documenting FATCA provisions in loan and other agreements. Additionally, Daniel helps clients analyze the US freight tax on shipping income and the exemption from tax.
Daniel’s sanctions experience includes advising clients in understanding and complying with the rules and regulations of the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
Daniel also advises on ERISA (US pension law) and the regulation of swaps and other derivatives. He also has experience representing clients in negotiating real estate joint ventures and other corporate transactions.
- Advising BNY in modifications of leveraged leases prior to accounting rule changes.
- Advising a fund in relation to the unwinding of a US$600m tax lease portfolio acquired from Pitney Bowes.
- Advising a lending syndicate in responding to apparent sanctions violations and subsequent workout by shipping company.
- 2009 · New York University School of Law, LL.M.
- 2005 · New York University School of Law, J.D.
- 2000 · University of Chicago, A.B.
memberships & associations
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association