Charles is Global Aviation Sector Co-Head, head of our Singapore office and a Partner in the Asset Finance Group.
Charles’ practice focuses on the transport sector, with a special emphasis on aviation finance and leasing, where he regularly advises banks, export credit agencies, lessors, arrangers and core manufacturers on high profile, cross-border mandates.
He is recognised as one of the leading aviation finance experts by legal directories Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Europe, Legal 500 EMEA and Who’s Who Legal and is ranked as a Recommended Lawyer for Singapore: Asset Finance: Foreign Firms and Singapore: Banking & Finance: Foreign firms in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021. In 2021, Chambers Asia-Pacific reported “He is an excellent and professional lawyer, who is very experienced, and open to discussions”, and “Charles Viggers draws strength from his previous practice in France to bolster his unique offering in the Asia-Pacific aviation finance market”.
Charles leads the WFW teams who advised on many deals which have won awards from highly regarded publications such as Airfinance Journal and Global Transport Finance magazine.
- Advising China Aircraft Leasing Company Ltd. in connection with the financing and leasing of two Airbus A320-214 aircraft msn 7145 and 7200 leased to Pegasus Airlines by means of a JOLCO. Named Aircraft Lessor JOLCO Deal of the Year at Global Transport Finance 2016 Awards.
- Deutsche Bank on its Coface-backed financing of the first Airbus Helicopters AS332 C1e Super Puma helicopter. South African / Irish helicopter operator Starlite Aviation Group operates the new helicopter in Kosovo carrying out utility and medevac work for the European Union’s EULEX mission. Subsequently advising on the complex restructuring of the leasing arrangements including changing the state of registration (Ireland to South Africa) and moving the habitual base of the helicopters (Kosovo to Mali, USA and Niger).
- A number of syndicate of banks on the JOLCO financing of a total of 14 x B737-700 (and -800) aircraft for Scandinavian airline SAS.
- Société Générale as debt arranger, debt underwriter, facility agent and security trustee for a syndicate of lenders on a JOLCO transaction for ICBC Financial Leasing Co. (“ICBCFL”) in respect of two (2) new A321 NEO aircraft to be leased to Vietnam Airlines.
- 1991-1995 University of Bristol, Law and Portuguese (Bachelor of Laws (European Legal Studies))
- 1993-1994 University of Coimbra, Portugal
- 1996-1997 The College of Law, Chester (Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice)
memberships & associations
- The Law Society of England & Wales