Sergio de Aguiar
Senior Associate London
Sergio de Aguiar is a Senior Associate in the Dispute Resolution group.
He has represented and advised companies in international arbitrations conducted under the auspices of a variety of rules, including the ICC, LCIA, ICSID and UNCITRAL Rules. His practice focuses particularly on energy, construction and engineering disputes.
Sergio is a dual-qualified lawyer (England & Wales and Brazil) and speaks English and Portuguese.
- Advising two international construction contractors, Respondents in an ICC arbitration in London initiated by a Middle Eastern State-owned company. The dispute concerned the development of a world-class medical facility in the Middle East, with over $3.7bn at stake.
- Advising a French-German consortium in an ICC arbitration in Stockholm against a Finnish utility company regarding a dispute arising from an agreement for the construction of a nuclear power plant in Finland. Over €6.1bn was at stake.
- Advising a Hungarian multinational oil and gas company in relation to a large industrial construction project regarding a contractor’s claim for costs and extensions of time as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and the related actions by the local and foreign public authorities.
- Advising a joint venture in relation to its claims for recovery of costs as a result of a contractor’s low productivity and defective works regarding the extension and improvement of existing oil and gas producing reservoirs.
- Advising a US energy group in a LCIA arbitration in London against an Emirati energy company regarding a dispute arising from the termination of a SPA related to the sale of onshore oil and gas assets in Egypt.
2013 · Queen Mary, University of London
LLM in International Arbitration
2009 · Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV/SP), São Paulo/SP, Brazil
Post Graduate Program in Environmental Corporate Law
2006 · Pontíficia Universidade Católica (PUC/SP), São Paulo/SP, Brazil
Post Graduate Program in Civil Procedural Law
2004 · Pontíficia Universidade Católica (PUC/SP), São Paulo/SP, Brazil
Post Graduate Program in Contract Law
2001 · Pontíficia Universidade Católica (PUC/SP), São Paulo/SP, Brazil
Bachelor’s Degree in Law
memberships & associations
Admitted to the Brazilian BAR (Sao Paulo Subsection)
Member of the Arbitration and Mediation Committee of the ICC Brazil
Law Society of England & Wales
- ArticleOn-Site Review: 2022 in Perspective
- ArticleSection 68 challenges: No lower hurdles for Covid-affected cases
- ArticleReady, steady, GO: Newly Introduced UNCITRAL Expedited Arbitration Rules
- ArticleA surprising conclusion? The impact of the Notice of Completion of Making Good in the due date of final accounts when no defects have been notified under JCT contracts