Neil is Of Counsel in the Dispute Resolution team in the firm’s New York office.
An internationally recognized AV-rated attorney for both ethics and skills, his areas of focus include commercial litigation and arbitration matters (particularly those involving international or maritime issues), international contract disputes, creditors’ rights in US bankruptcy proceedings, obtaining pre- and post-judgment security, and vessel foreclosure. He also works on international and domestic transactions in the transportation sector, particularly those with maritime legal issues.
Frequently appearing in international disputes, Neil has worked on cases all over the United States, in England, France, Switzerland, Denmark, Germany, Holland, Italy and Greece, as well as Japan, China, South Korea, Singapore and Australia, and has had involvement in other proceedings around the world.
Neil is a past Chair of the New York State Bar Association (“NYSBA”), International Section. The International Section has about 2,500 members located around the world, and offers a New York law perspective on critical international law issues at the city, state and federal level. Neil is also the Secretary of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Committee of the Maritime Law Association and on the Connecticut Maritime Association Advisory Board.
Neil has been selected to Super Lawyers as a top rated Transportation and Maritime Attorney in New York (2015-2019).
- Advising and representing Aozora Bank of Japan in a US maritime bankruptcy, including global foreclosure and enforcement actions on 12 vessels.
- Advising Oppenheim Capital Limited and other private equity investment vehicles in foreclosure of financed vessel.
- Advising junior lenders in US maritime bankruptcy.
- Advising and representing private equity concern in acquisition and charter of vessel.
- Advising iron ore and commodities trader in dispute with purchaser.
- 1999 – 2002 · Fordham School of Law, J.D.
- 1994 – 1998 · York University – Toronto, Specialized B.A. in International Relations
memberships & associations
- Proctor, Maritime Law Association of the United States
- American Bar Association, International Law Section
- New York State Bar Association, International Section and Dispute Resolution Section