Mei is a partner in the Finance Group and head of our Singapore Office.
Mei specialises in cross-border asset, project and structured finance transactions in the maritime & logistics, offshore oil & gas and energy sectors.
She advises financial institutions, export credit agencies, lessors, lessees, owners and operators and also assists clients in the maritime and offshore sectors on the establishment, expansion and restructuring of their businesses across the Asia Pacific region.
Mei is widely recognised as one of Asia’s top shipping finance experts, having been named one of Lloyd’s List Top 10 maritime lawyers in 2017, as well as receiving their Asia Pacific “Individual Lawyer of the Year” award the same year. She was also nominated “Best in shipping” at the Euromoney Asia Women in Business Law Awards 2016.
Leading legal directories Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Chambers Asia Pacific and Chambers Global are equally effusive in their recognition of Mei. In 2019, Legal 500 noted she is “a great lawyer, a great managing partner and an amazing role model for women”. Chambers meanwhile described her as “probably the most knowledgeable lawyer of the Korean market” and that “her expertise in bankruptcy matters is a special asset”.
- Advising the Lenders on the high profile project financing of six Korea Gas Corporation newbuild LNG carriers, operated by SK Shipping, Korea Line Corporation and Hyundai LNG, with a combined value of over US$1.2bn.
- Advising different lending groups in relation to the insolvency of Hanjin Shipping which was then South Korea’s largest container line and in relation to the enforcement in relation to seven vessels.
- 2004 · Admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales
- 1995 · Admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya
- 1995 · Admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore
- 1991 · Called to the Bar of England and Wales
- 1989 · Bachelor of Laws, University of Nottingham