MADELINE IS HEAD OF THE ASIA ASSETS AND STRUCTURED FINANCE GROUP.
With approximately 30 years’ experience, Madeline’s practice focusses on asset, project and structured financings and debt restructuring, with particular expertise in the transportation, intermodal, energy and natural resources sectors. Her clients include leading banks, financial institutions, leasing companies and major transportation, logistics, energy and shipping companies.
Madeline is widely recognised as one of Asia’s leading ship finance lawyers by legal directories Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global, IFLR 1000 and Who’s Who Legal. Chambers highlighted in the 2021 edition that she “is a market-leading practitioner who enjoys a solid reputation in the field of shipping finance, and frequently sought out by leasing firms and international banks for cross-border mandates in relation to sale and leaseback transactions, syndicated loans and JOLCOS.” She is described as “a veteran asset finance practitioner who sources view as a standout figure in Greater China” and “a strong lead on any negotiation – she manages her clients’ interests at all times, develops innovative solutions to complex issues and delivers the best overall result.”
Madeline is ranked as a “Star Individual” in China Shipping: Finance by Chambers Greater China guide and named in the Legal 500’s Hall of Fame in 2022. She was also recognised named in the list of “Top 10 Maritime Lawyers” globally by Lloyd’s List 2020, “Best in Shipping” at the Euromoney Asia Women in Business Law Awards 2017 and 2020.
- Advising MUFG Bank as facility agent on the US$180m refinancing of two K-Line LNG vessels which are time chartered to Statoil ASA, the world’s largest offshore operator.
- Advising BNP Paribas on US$116.5m refinancing of five product tankers under a sale and leaseback transaction between AVIC Leasing and NYSE-listed Scorpio Tankers Inc.
- 1988 · Bjuris and LLB, University of Western Australia
memberships & associations
- Advocate & Solicitor of Western Australia and Australia
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Solicitor of Hong Kong