T: +65 6551 9178 M: +65 9128 6361
Kunal is a Partner in the Projects & Corporate group.
Kunal has over 19 years of experience advising clients on conventional and renewable energy, and leads our non-contentious energy/ energy transition projects’ offering, in Singapore. His practice covers project development and finance, procurement and marketing/ trading, complex structured finance, and acquisitions and disposals of energy assets within the oil & gas (LNG), renewables, and transport infrastructure sectors. He has significant specialist experience in upstream and energy assets’ investments and divestments (and connected financing) and LNG procurement, regasification, terminal use, bunkering, and gas to power work.
Kunal’s recent focus has included transactions in the wind, carbon/nature and non-nature based solutions’ space, and advisory work in the rapidly evolving CCS, hydrogen and ammonia sectors.
Kunal has, for many years, been widely recognised for both his energy and projects sector expertise by legal directories Chambers Asia Pacific and Chambers Global (band 3 – Energy, foreign firms), Legal 500 (currently Recommend Lawyer, and previously Next Generation Partner for Energy & Projects, foreign firms), and IFLR 1000 (Highly Regarded in Project Development & Finance for energy).
In 2023, Chambers Asia Pacific described him as having “strong expertise in production sharing contracts and LNG supply agreements” and further reported clients as saying that “Kunal is talented, insightful and very clever, and fully understands what the client needs”, and “Oil and gas and LNG specialist Kunal Kapoor has an impressive record in the region.” Legal 500 reported clients as saying that “Kunal Kapoor is an intelligent stand-out partner whom we work with on a host of international energy transactions and projects” and “Kunal is an excellent lawyer, leader and draftsman with a very collaborative style of negotiation, which ensures that complicated deals get across the line on time. He manages to distill complex problems in an easy to understand manner for the lay man, and we value that as clients. We see him both as a valued advisor and a business partner who is extremely involved to safeguard our best interests”.
- Acted for Pavilion Energy on an LNG bunkering project/ joint venture with Total Energies for storage, reload and sale of LNG which included negotiations on LNG handling arrangements, bunker supply arrangements, operational and scheduling arrangements, multi user terminal use arrangements (including segregated terminal use, and storage & reload terminal use agreements).
- Acted for PT Pertamina (Persero) on the due diligence of the Rokan oil field (formerly Indonesia’s largest onshore oil field - $1bn+), and negotiations with Chevron for the acquisition of those assets.
- Acting for a client on nature and non-nature-based solutions’ projects in Southeast Asia and East Africa which include equity investments, funding, drafting and negotiations of emissions reductions purchase agreements, benefit sharing plans, digital tokenisation, and issuance/ trading of carbon and renewable energy credits/ certificates.
- Acted for a H-Energy on the East and West coasts’ floating LNG storage and regasification projects (two separate FSRUs), in India.
- Acted for Asian Development Bank on the proposed CHP 5 IPP (a greenfield combined heat and power project in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia with an electrical capacity of up to 450 MWe and heat capacity of up to 587MWt) including review and negotiation of the concession arrangements.
- 2011 · Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England & Wales
memberships and associations
- Law society of England & Wales