David is a Partner in the Asset Finance Group.
David’s practice concentrates on asset and project finance, with a particular emphasis on the shipping and offshore (oil and gas) industries. His clients include banks, lessors, shipping companies and companies in the offshore services industry.
David is experienced in wider asset financings, acquisition finance, balance sheet lending and securitisation transactions. In addition to finance work, his practice encompasses commercial contract advice and projects, especially in the energy and offshore industries.
David is recognised for his asset finance expertise by legal directories Chambers UK and Chambers Global, he is co-author of The Law of Ship Mortgages (2nd edn, InformaLaw at Routledge, 2016), sometime rapporteur to the International Working Group on Ship Security Interests previously established by the Comité Maritime International (CMI) and is currently co-chair of the International Working Group on Security Interests over Shipping Containers recently established by the CMI. He has published articles and book reviews in legal periodicals, including LMCLQ, JIML and CLJ.
David joined the firm on its establishment in 1982, shortly after qualifying with a large City firm and was made a Partner in 1986. He spent six years in the firm’s New York office between 1990 and 1995.
- WFW advises Höegh LNG Partners LP on US$221 million IPO.
- Advising on LNG/FSRU projects in China and Lithuania.
- Advising lessors and lessees on unwind or restructuring of various UK leases.
- Advising on a number of transfers or sales of shipping portfolios.
- 1993 · Admitted to New York Bar (non-practising)
- 1982 · Downing College, Cambridge MA
- 1981 · Admitted as a Solicitor
- 1975 – 1978 · Downing College, Cambridge BA Hons Law
memberships & associations
- Law Society of England & Wales
- City of London Solicitors’ Company