Dan is a Partner in the Finance Group and Head of the firm’s New York office.
Dan’s practice involves a broad scope of finance work ranging from asset-based lending and project structured financings (including bilateral and syndicated loan facilities, letter of credit and guarantee facilities, and restructuring work) to lease financings and US capital markets transactions.
His diverse client base includes financial institutions, borrowers, participants in lease transactions, and issuers of debt and public and private equity.
Dan has a special focus on transactions in the shipping and offshore industries, in which capacity he also advises on matters of Marshall Islands and Liberian corporate and maritime law and Vanuatu maritime law, including issuing opinions.
He is recognised as one of the leading shipping finance lawyers in the USA by legal directories Chambers USA, Chambers Global and Legal 500 US. In 2019, Chambers reported he was “a significant figure in the business”.
- Advising a syndicate of banks led by Standard Chartered Bank on a US$1.0bn financing of a semi-submersible deepwater production unit owned by Petrobras.
- Advising Van Enkevort Tug & Barge on the financings of an existing integrated tug and barge and a newbuilding tug and barge for operation under the Jones Act trade on the Great Lakes.
- Advising Teekay Corporation and affiliated companies in connection with multiple financing and corporate securities transactions.
- Advising DVB Bank SE, NIBC Bank N.V. and ABN AMRO Bank N.V. in connection with the Chapter 11 restructuring of various financing facilities for the offshore assets of the Ultrapetrol Group.
- Advising Dorian LPG on a US$758m financing provided by a syndicate of banks with ECA support to acquire 18 newbuilding very large gas carrier vessels.
- 1986 – 1989 · Tulane University, J.D.
- 1979 – 1983 · Dartmouth College, A.B.