Andrew is a Partner in the Finance Group and Head of the firm’s Dubai office.
Andrew specialises in cross-border asset and project finance, with particular emphasis on the marine transportation and offshore sectors. He has acted on loan and leasing transactions as well as structured financings and products.
He also represents shipping companies in relation to non-contentious commercial shipping matters, including sale and purchase, newbuilding contracts and resales, joint ventures and strategic alliances, pooling arrangements, COAs, charters and other contracts of employment for ships, shipping related assets and offshore assets.
Another key practice area is Islamic finance, where Andrew has acted on a wide range of transactions for banks and owners of assets of all classes, from shipping and offshore through to real estate. His experience encompasses not only Islamic banking products but also funds and capital markets products.
Andrew is recognised as a leading shipping finance lawyer by legal directories Legal 500 EMEA, Chambers UK and Chambers Global. In 2019, Chambers Global recognised him as a “great lawyer with lots of regional experience”, with one client styling him “absolutely superb”.
- Advising a group of 30 international and local banks on the successful financing of the US$14bn merger between Hapag-Lloyd and United Arab Shipping Company.
- Advising Bank Muscat in relation to the re-financing of four crude oil tankers owned ultimately by Oman Shipping Company SAOC.
- Advising several stakeholders within the Government of Pakistan in relation to the construction and operation of the FSRU-based terminal at Port Qasim in Karachi.
- Advising Crestline on the US$30,000,000 loan facility for the purpose of financing up to 100% of the acquisition cost of certain ISO tank containers.
- Advising Bahri in relation to the US$126m financing in respect of two VLCCs. The facility was provided on the basis of a syndicated Murabaha financing.
- 1986 · LLB Hons (Law Degree), University of Birmingham
- 1987 · Law Society Finals
memberships & associations
- Law Society of England and Wales